Mission Impossible Munich 2020

A few days ago, I posted some thoughts about the state of Catholic Action in this time of the suffering Church. Using the term Catholic Action very loosely, my concern was how can we best defend the Faith against the overwhelming tide of destruction which comes from everywhere today?  Like many of my posts, it was too vague and even my most loyal readers weren’t interested. Of those who did read, several took exception and felt a need to defend the organizers who were being “attacked” by me.

This was expected, in this time of overly sensitive victimology. The disorientation and muddled thinking will continue until grace and light return to us. We are all struggling in this satanic fog of war. And we will continue to see loss after loss until we regain clarity through God’s grace. Our Lord Jesus Christ and His Immaculate Mother have given us the keys to victory but few will hear this.  Until they do, the losses will mount and the faithful will dwindle as foretold many times. The gathering in Munich (I cannot call it a protest) is just one in a dismal string of losses, with many more to come.

Update 1-25-2020: Several readers have noticed that other blogs and their commenters have covered the  Acies Ordinata event in Munich, but no one seemed to miss the Rosary. One noted that Dr. de Mattei’s interview on OnePeter 5 mentioned that they stand an hour in silence with rosary in hand, but evidently not praying it as a group, out loud. What is accomplished by displaying a rosary when not actually praying it? What does that mean?. Father John Zuhlsdorf had a witty take on the organizers  being so secretive. He pointed out that although much had been made of  Matt’s “Unite the Clans”, no one had even advised him of the silent gathering. He aptly referred to it as a “self-licking ice cream cone”. He made several very good points but also did not notice that this group of traditional Catholics appears to have moved beyond the traditional rosary for something more up-to-date.

Of course, many commenters felt the need to chide with cliches along the lines of, “at least they were doing something” and “every little bit helps”. It only proved my suspicion that many today are unable to grasp the need for clarity and objective analysis of any situation. Commenters reacted to Father Z’s carefully reasoned post with the usual subjective, emotional defense of the “victim” – Acies Ordinata. And that is one big reason that we cannot get any consensus on the actions necessary to defend the faith.

Yes, we need to unite and take action. But our actions should be firmly founded on our Catholic faith. In this, Jesus and His most Blessed Mother must be our guides. If we simply adopt the ground rules of the enemy, such as standing separately, silently, without uniting in vocal prayer – for Catholics, it has traditionally been the Rosary – you have already given the enemy a silent but significant victory.

Then, we must all figure out some way, really try to do this! – to act as grown-ups. Set aside subjectivism, that has seeped in from the all-pervasive liberalism. Criticism is not necessarily an attack on a ‘victim’ but is often a useful ‘reality check’.  It has been hard for me, but at last, I’ve begun to learn from criticism. I see that even, or perhaps especially unjust, criticism teaches me things I had not thought of. But today, looking at any lively discussion in almost any combox, you have folks who jump in to defend anyone criticised, as though they must defend the “victim”.

We’re never going to make progress, if we all are so sensitive that we cannot take criticism, simply because nothing at all can be said or done that will not draw comments from others, just and unjust.

Overlooked

Now, here is the other thing I noticed, and it, to my mind is a huge and very worrisome thing – various blogs that mentioned the Munich event had many comments and yet no one remarked on the fact that the leading representatives of traditional, faithful Catholics held a Catholic protest that omitted the public recitation of the Rosary. Now, of all times, we should be relying on our Most Blessed Mother.

We can certainly debate the possible reasons for the gathering not being publicised beforehand (i.e., Abp. Viganò, Cardinal Marx’s power with the gestapo and so on) but what excuse is there for ignoring Our Lady of the Rosary? Oh yes, the organizers did get a photo op with rosaries in hand, giving the impression of a Rosary protest, but that was misleading – as the “protest” was deliberately silent, no Rosary was said aloud. Note to all commenters, I am not making fussy criticism: It is a fact that we as Catholics have always, since St. Dominic’s day, used the public recitation of the Rosary as our rallying point. It was a sign of our unity in fighting the Albigensians, muslims, marxists and assorted tyrannies; and under Our Lady’s banner we shall again be victorious, as many saints have prophesied. We just need to grow up first, I guess.

As I wrote in the earlier post:

I am convinced that the way to restore the spiritual life – indeed, the only way – is through devotion to the Mother of God. From my readers, it has become clear that we need to return to some very fundamental aspects, returning to the very meaning and context of the prayers of the Holy Rosary. I hope that by doing so, we can revitalize our Rosaries. For we are engaged, whether we acknowledge it or not, in a life or death spiritual combat. This was brought home to me very recently, when a prominent group of lay Catholic leaders gathered in Munich:

“An international coalition of lay Catholics mobilized in Munich today to silently pray in “firm protest against the German Episcopal Conference and its President” Cardinal Marx on account of the prelates’ plan to embark on a “synodal path” that critics say would create a “new church” that departs from Catholic teaching on priestly celibacy, contraception, homosexuality, and fornication.” (Lifesite News)

Quoting from the article,

The citation above, correctly taken is: from Solomon’s Canticle of Canticles. The link allows you to read the Vulgate alongside the Douay version.

In order to dispel some confusion, here is more from the Lifesite article, FYI:

About the name of the organization: “Called Acies ordinata, the international coalition derives its name from a title reserved for Our Lady who assembles an army of the faithful to defeat her enemies. The Latin phrase “terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinate” is applied to Mary in battle and is taken from the Old Testament Song of Songs canticle (6:3, 6:10).” Direct quote.

NOTE: That quote is: Quæ est ista quæ progreditur quasi aurora consurgens, pulchra ut luna, electa ut sol, terribilis ut castrorum acies ordinata?  (Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in array?) By the way, it is verse 9, not verse 10.

“The hour of silent prayer and meditation ended with the collective singing of the Creed, during which, to express their love for the Church, the participants raised their voices to sing the words Et unam Sanctam Catholicam Ecclesiam (one holy Catholic Church) #AciesOrdinata pic.twitter.com/0Mb0JugifC”. Direct quote.

LINK to above quotes: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/catholic-laityprotest-cdl-marx-call-him-to-repent-for-leading-german-church-down-schismatic-synodal-path

Now readers, who among you believes that “Our Lady’s army in battle array” just stands around silently, unarmed, refusing to use the weapon she gives us – that is, her rosary?

What struck me is that an organization of the most prominent lay Catholic leaders  have staged a protest in the name of Mary that was silent. That did not publically recite her Rosary? Think of that. Silent.

That is, they chose to forego the true traditional Catholic protest of respectfully reciting the Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary in public; a practice that goes back so many centuries and is so richly indulgenced that it would have brought down floods of grace and strengthened the participants while weakening and driving out the ancient enemy. In place of the Rosary of the Mother of God – which she has continuously asked us for – they decided to stand in silent protest, not united in the one effective prayer that is actually the weapon of Our Lady, but instead in the silent interior of each one “praying in their own way” as is the way of the worldly today. A way that is perfectly acceptable to the false ecumenists of the neo-modernist, neo-paganist church of the man they propose to protest, Cardinal Marx. How he must have laughed at their impotent “protest”.

We seem to have reached a new low, when prominent lay Catholic leaders form themselves into an army of Our Lady while eschewing her own weapons in order to adopt the stance of the freemasonic enemy. Just think a moment of the many triumphs of Our Lady of the Rosary – and see the futility of this silly posing.

Yes, I said, silly posing. To pose for a photo holding a rosary, when the event had no intention of reciting the rosary in unity, openly, is pointless, utterly useless. A symbol, if you will of our failure to stand up for the only true Faith by which we are saved.

The Message of Fatima is that she herself desires that we call her, Our Lady of the Rosary.

Return to Fatima!

Remember – Our Lady needs us to obey:  First Saturdays of Reparation, daily rosary, at least 5 mysteries, wear her brown scapular and live your Total Consecration to her Immaculate Heart, offering daily duties in reparation and for the conversion of poor sinners.

Immaculate Heart of Mary, Queen of our hearts, Mother of the Church, do thou offer to the Eternal Father the Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ, for the conversion of poor sinners, especially our Pontiff.
  Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Thy kingdom come! Viva Cristo Rey!
  St. Joseph, protect us, protect our families, protect our priests.
  St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.

~ by evensong for love of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ, King.
Vouchsafe that I may praise thee, O Sacred Virgin! Give me strength against thine enemies!

15 thoughts on “Mission Impossible Munich 2020

1. Andrew Magoffin says:

The problem with this whole movement of “Unite the Clans” is that we are throwing away our treasure – the true Catholic Faith, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Rosary, the Holy Mass, and the truth without compromise as the holy Archbishop Lefebvre gave us, only to throw him away and unite everyone who wants a “nice liturgy” even to the point of saying “if you have a good Novus Ordo, it’s good!”
    This movement is exactly what you called it: silly. It’s ridiculous. We have left the Archbishop for trad-cumenism. We’re all good, even the Novus Ordo! No longer needing to crown Our Lord Jesus Christ – no, we will get along with apostate Rome and those who want to compromise with them.
    Cardinal Marx is a proud member of the apostate Conciliar Church. Do we really think a silent protest will change that?
    “Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Antichrist”
    The only solution is Our Lady of Fatima, not these impotent protests. What next, write a letter to your local apostate Novus Ordo Bishop?

• evensong says:

Thank you Andrew, and agree with you completely. All this is expected. It would be an amazing miracle of grace for it to be otherwise.
      Donoso Cortes explained all this very clearly long ago.
      “between human reason and the absurd there is a secret affinity and a close relationship…(Man’s) will accepts it (the absurd) because it is the offspring of his understanding…it is a living testimony of his creative power…in the act of its creation, man is like unto God…what matters if the Other be the God of truth if he (man) is the God of the absurd?”
      In this, Cortes is explaining Christ’s words, “I am come in the name of my Father, and you receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him will you receive ” (John 5:43).

Cortes was explaining the consequences of original sin which predisposes man to prefer whatever he himself finds reasonable, no matter how absurd, to the truth which is of Christ.

Those of us who are not half so clever as our self-appointed leaders understand the importance of simply obeying what God has revealed through Jesus and Mary in the message of Fatima. Those who live their consecrations in humility and obedience know that it is absurd to think that any public protest that does not rely on our Eucharistic Lord, Jesus Christ King, and His Blessed Mother and her Rosary, will not succeed. Once, there was sufficient grace in the faithful to grasp this, and Catholics held Rosary rallies with the Blessed Sacrament enthroned in the Monstrance proclaiming the reign of Jesus Christ King and praying aloud the Rosary which is the love song of the Most Holy Trinity for Mary, Mother of the Church and all of the faithful, her children. These rallies were a powerful sign and achieved so many victories.

But perhaps those who organized the silent “protest” were right. Like Václav Havel’s greengrocer, perhaps most Catholics today have so internalized the tyranny of this world, that they imprison themselves and cannot dare to participate in such a flagrant offense against the power of the Lord of this world. Maybe they are right to fit in by adopting the tactics of the secular elite. Some of my readers have agreed by opting out. I wish them Godspeed.

If they are right, no amount of reasoning from the likes of you and me will sway them. Leave them, like Lot’s wife, and continue to follow Our Lady of the Rosary. I hope to write more on this soon .

God bless you Andrew!

• Andrew Magoffin says:

Precisely! “Latin Mass-ism” isn’t the answer. You look at the pictures, some are saying the Rosary, some are reading books, what is this? It’s the most unorganized “protest” ever! There’s someone holding up his hand – offering something?? It’s so bizarre. Tradition is the answer. Archbishop Lefebvre made this 100% clear. The FAITH. Where is the Eucharistic presence of Our Lord? Pope Pius IX said “give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world”. Not some people silently praying the Rosary. Apostasy from God as outlined by Pope St Pius X in E Supremi is the problem and just any old Latin Mass is NOT the answer. It’s the faith. That’s why these efforts of de Mattei and Matt and Taylor and Westen are bound to fail. They emphasize a nice liturgy at the expense of the FAITH. At Baptism we were asked “What do you ask of the Church of God?” The answer “Faith,” not “a nice liturgy”. That the indult/FSSP/ICK line. Rome is in apostasy and Our Lady made it clear. Be an army – and use the weapons that Holy Mother Church gave us. But this impotent humanist “protest” will be forgotten quickly by the faithless hierarchy. God bless Archbishop Lefebvre and the Society of St Pius X who still understand this!
        God bless this blog. Our chapels are being invaded by “Latin Mass-ism” and if we don’t speak up, the next generation in the SSPX chapels will be more liberal and modern, and the whole system will crumble. May those who don’t have the courage to stay be happy where they go.

• evensong says:

Andrew, LaSalette announced the Passion of the Mother of God, who is the Mother of the Church. She and Our Lord have offered us, in these calamitous times, the only means we have to traverse this minefield and save our souls.
          Those who follow the true message of Fatima in reparation and rosaries understand that others – almost all others – will reject this. Our job is to live the truth, live our consecrations in obedience and especially in love, in enduring charity.

May Our Lord bless and keep you,
          evensong

2. Jackie says:

I have to agree with you here evensong. As much as I like Michael Matt,
    this seems to me to be more of an attempt to make bystanders curious
    than an actual battle tactic. I’m pretty much at the point where I am
    ready to leave the internet behind also, as many of these writers/bloggers
    are truly exhausting. As much as I like them as people, I’ve noticed in my own journey that truly this is a road. And you probably get plenty of emails from people in different places on the road. As I left the Church Militant channel for the Remnant, I understood, kind of, that the Remnant was a little more “spiritual”. While listening to Church Militant it was easy for me
    to criticize both the less Catholic, though still Catholic sites AND the Catholic sites that instructed my faith MORE. That may be why your getting emails. People take personally an attack on the road in the
    place where they themselves are standing. I have to agree that this is
    totally a victim mentality. It is also shortsighted to believe that there are
    not people further on down the road then even these prominent lay
    people. I have tried to “not get my feelings hurt” but I know it is a risk when I post something. I always find your posts to be insightful and you
    who are far far further down the road than me (it is blatantly apparent to me) help draw me further down the road by inspiring me to think more
    deeply about what you say and how you got there. I am so thankful for
    your blog and it is the only one that consistently gets opened out of my
    emails. I can’t wait for your rosary posts. I know that my rosaries are
    sorely lacking. I actually offer them in unison with the merits of the
    Holy Wounds because I think the poor Blessed Virgin must have to
    clean them up so much…….I’m like Her impertinent 2 year old. Am
    hoping to progress to rosary age 3 and 4 thru your rosary posts as I
    was never really formally taught exactly “how” it should be prayed and though I read on it, the never seem to really get deep enough. I went to
    a rather progressive Catholic school and I don’t remember ever praying
    the rosary, but I do remember lots of flowers and butterflies and books with people who had heads like coconuts. Please, please instruct
    away!!!!! I am so ready! And I will be renewing my Total Consecration on the Feast of the Purification. God bless you evensong!!!

• evensong says:

Thank you Jackie. I had hoped to have the newsletter up by now and begin the Rosary posts, but had a set back. Fell and hit my head and will be a while recovering. It is not serious, just part of being my age.
      Will only say, if only they knew how powerful the Rosary is, they would perhaps begin to understand what a tremendous gift Our Lady has given us in the Rosary.
      And the angel being come in, said unto her: ‘Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.”
      Now, to be quite plain about it – the Angel was not just making this up off the top of his head, He is the messenger of Almighty God, the Most Holy Trinity.
      It is God Himself speaking to His most beloved daughter, Mother and Spouse- the Creature He loves far above all creation this Virgin Mary. Next to the most Blessed Sacrament, which is also being despised, these prayers, this rosary, is our most powerful weapon.
      Now, at this terrible time of crisis as the enemy possesses the stronghold and we are being cast from our own Church, we have this precious, powerful weapon to call forth God’s grace and mercy. And the best we can do is stand mute, rosary dangling impotently. Oh! For pity’s sake !

• Jackie says:

Oh my gosh. I hope your ok. Our comments passed each other
        along the internet wire, so I didn’t see this. I’ll say a prayer for you
        right now! I have fallen once before. It’s a little scary!

• evensong says:

Jackie, I understood. And I’ll be OK, I fall all too often, but we joke about it – thank goodness it was only my head – now if it had been my big toe, well that’s where I keep my brains! 😉
          But now, really must rest.

• Jackie says:

🙂
      I didn’t mean to imply that you “were attacking their place on the road”
      evensong. I mean that people view EVERYTHING as an attack, and a
      personal one at that. I’ve been reading your blog long enough to know
      that you not only have knowledge of the Faith, but also a boatload of
      common sense. And your measured criticism is the result of both,
      and about as far from the attack mentality as it can possibly be.

3. Cathy says:

For what it’s worth, I think you are correct. I didn’t quite know what to think about their silent protest. Something did strike me as odd, with them standing there silently. When you pointed out the lack of public recitation of the Rosary, then the puzzle pieces clicked together in my mind.
    Please keep up your posts.
    Thank you!

• evensong says:

Thank you Cathy, I am not attacking them, but am strongly urging them to use the approved, effective traditional means by which our ancestors in the faith triumphed over seemingly insurmountable odds.

I do wish someone who has a bit more likability would take this up. I will hush now as I’ve pretty well ticked off so many.

4. nancyv says:

Dear Evensong
    Criticism is hard to take and seemingly even harder to give because it seems never to be received as intended. I do have to “grow up!” I am encouraged that you said you are beginning to learn from criticism; that’s a most humbling thing to say and I am right there with you. I thank God for you as you help me wait for the fog to lift before jumping off the cliff.
    Another thing I am encouraged by is that many priests I know REALLY are saying/living “to Jesus through Mary”. Anyway, thank you and Deo gratias.